Age Group for "Alien 3" (1992)

I once did a poll to test my theory on the age group of the average fan of Alien 3. I’m no fan of Alien 3 (with Aliens my third favorite film of all time). 

Though not accurate and only a few hundred voted, it was overwhelmingly those under the age of 50 (as of 2018 or so) that liked Alien 3. (There is also the notion that the majority of people on the FB page are under 50 anyway, but I don’t know how anyone could know that).  Anyway, the poll does suggest that the majority of Alien 3 fans are under 50. This tells me (at least in the FB page) that fans of Alien 3 didn't see it in the theater (and certainly didn't experience Aliens in the theater), and didn't go through the physical wait time between films. My general theory is that if you didn't experience all the Alien films in real time in the theater when they were released, then you are more likely to have enjoyed Alien 3 a lot more than people currently over 50.


We waited from 1979 to 1986 for a sequel. We grew up seeing Sigourney in other roles. Newer generations saw them both with no reference between them. And if you didn't wait from 1986 to 1992 for Alien 3, the impact of Newt and Hicks will simply not impact you the same, simply because of time.  My theory.


This is a great quote from George R.R Martin, the creator of Game of Thrones:

If they ever put me in charge of the franchise, the next Alien film will open with Newt waking up safe on Earth, having dreamed all those later, awful Alien movies. I loved ALIEN and ALIENS, but when I read the early reviews of ALIEN 3, and learned that the new movie was going to open by killing Newt and… what was his name, the Michael Biehn character?… Well, I was fucking outraged. I never went to the film because I did not want that shit in my head. I had come to love Newt in the preceding movie, the whole damn film was about Ripley rescuing her, the end was deeply satisfying… and now some asshole was going to come along and piss all over that just to be shocking. I have never seen the subsequent Alien films either, since they are all part of a fictional “reality” that I refuse to embrace.


Since I’m on a bit of an Alien 3 hate tirade, here is something I hadn’t thought of till now.  The whole nonsense about the queen somehow putting/laying/hiding an egg (or spare facehugger?) on the Sulaco. If canon memory serves, doesn't an egg need to be in the presence of a living thing in order to be “triggered” to wake up, come out and attach itself to someone’s face?  To me, this just adds to the most insipid screenplay Hollywood ever produced.  A hidden egg that hatched a facehugger with no host nearby, an egg that one no one noticed or discovered for probably weeks while Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop recovered from days without sleep, exhaustion, and in need of medical treatment.  Aside from that though, this egg or eggs that hatched and killed Newt and Hicks is total bullshit.  What woke it up? The humans, air-tight locked in cryo, would not have triggered anything.  The egg(s) would lay dormant like they always do till it was triggered by a lifeform.


The facehugger that hatched hidden off somewhere by itself with no host nearby that is needed to trigger it, the one the queen was able to stow away on the dropship, the one no one noticed or or discovered for the probable WEEKS Ripley and Newt and Hicks and Bishop spent recovering from days without sleep, exhaustion, and medical healing.

That facehugger???

Comments

Popular Posts